The flight west

Welcome to my blog. Its purpose is to give Bostonians a tour guide of the *other* city by the Bay: San Francisco. I made the decision to move here at the turn of 2012 after a number of mystical crises pricked my fragile life. That and the fact that I had a dear friend, Eric Whitney, who has been rooting for me to live in San Francisco with him and his partner, Richard Bae. In the course of my life, I have had three discrete dreams about being in San Francisco but at the time I could not put my finger on the place, mistaking it for Los Angeles or Cape Cod. But now I know I was supposed to end up here all along. Does that ever happen to you?

Soon enough I will purchase a digital camera with a video camera component to truly show you this blessed city.

The flight on Virgin America was fabulous. Each charter has this wonderful pink and purple mood lighting and everything is customized. The selection of radio stations was a riot: 'Atmospheres' for mood music and nature sounds, 'Beat' for House and Trance and even 'Pride' for GLBT musicians, among a handful of others. As a true romantic, I made sure I had the window seat. Leave the aisle seat for those with stellar credit who require a regular shoeshine.

Upon descent into the Bay Area, I marveled at the constellations below and my own topographical bias. I assumed the borders of the Bay would be all craggy and/or sandy like my dear Massachusetts coast but it slithered with mud flats. Even our Massachusetts marshes have more definition than some of these swamps near places like Fremont and East Palo Alto. I guess it's a result of the delta which is bay that seeps and stretches into the land like a topographical limbo. Think Southern Louisiana and that's your Bay Area. Of course, this was from ten thousand feet and was just the South Bay I viewed.

My first errand is to pick up roller blades and find a locksmith to cut me my own pair of house keys. More details to follow.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Magnolias

Controversy at the BL Symposium on Decorum and the Soul of the Humanities: DITA Assignment #3

Thomas's Pandemic Diaries: The Good Ole' Literature Review for the Dissertation