Renew, Renew!

There are moments where I feel like an extra in the movie "Logan's Run" while living in San Francisco. Except instead of under 30-year-olds thriving in a sci-fi setting, it seems you can only live here between the ages of 18 and 65. Part of the age-angst that screams "Renew, Renew!" is perhaps just a facet of my neighborhood, Mission Dolores or what I call Dolastro. It's a total party town and even on the weekdays you feel as if everyone is on vacation. SF has the lowest number of children per capita out of any major U.S. city and a number of people I've spoken to who are 50+ feel very invisible. Deeper into the Castro, many homeowners are in fact older gay men, so you have this strange dynamic of folks who feel like strangers in their own neighborhoods. Part of me is actually looking forward to a quieter neighborhood with more diversity, perhaps Excelsior, Glen Park or "The Avenues," i.e. the Richmond and Sunset neighborhoods. My only regret would be ditching my beloved trolley or F line.



There are other neighborhoods in the central city that would be divine substitutes, places like Lower Haight, Hayes Valley or North Beach. In fact I've heard that if you want to experience a new city all you have to do is move to a new neighborhood in SF. Then your experience can be as diverse as "Star Trek" instead of as sickening as "Logan's Run."

The last few weeks have been exceptionally challenging which is why Neptune has been casting such a subdued blue pallor. But I fell in love with the city again this weekend after spending time with my bo, Mauricio, who took me out to brunch twice and planned a hike from Ghirardelli Square to Crissy Field. The weather has been cooperating this weekend too with highs pushing 80 and little to no wind. I'm now looking for work again but so far potential employers have been very responsive. Moving forward, it's always best to focus on your strengths and find employment that compliments you instead of forcing an awkward partnership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Magnolias

Controversy at the BL Symposium on Decorum and the Soul of the Humanities: DITA Assignment #3

Thomas's Pandemic Diaries: The Good Ole' Literature Review for the Dissertation