Little Maggie (and other gifts)



I am an uncle again. Little Maggie Grace Burns was born on Monday, February 18, 2013 weighing 7.12 lbs. Here are pics with my nephew, Sean, and my niece, Emily, holding her. I'm proud of Emily, in particular, because this will be a whole new level of responsibility, having a baby sister!

I can't wait to meet her come November!


In other news, here out west, I've stepped it up and purchased my first adult car. The last one I owned was "Kit," a 1981 cream-colored Buick Skylark that I shared with my siblings during our high school and college years. His days were always numbered. Later on, as an insufferably liberal young adult, I was happy to take 'the T' everywhere around the Boston metro area but was also too eager to borrow the car of anyone close to me, be it my brother, my dad or my ex. Now my name is attached to a machine of financial gravity. Looks like little Emily is not the only one who has to show responsibility!



Daedalus is the name of my 2006 silver and blue Honda Element. He operates with sobriety and intellect and although shaped like a toaster, there's an airy quality to the ride as if I'm steering a cathedral. The first week I burnt out behind the wheel. It wasn't road rage but its cousin road-cockiness. Suddenly all my previous co-passengers on the 49 bus looked like commoners so now I swing between MUNI and driving. Driving an automobile is an entitlement, not a right, and my first love will always be public transportation. Where else can you people-watch or read a good chapter while some magic carpet whisks you away for two dollars?

Lastly, I'm relishing my first real attempt at gardening. It's a human activity "old as dirt" that utilizes all aspects of the emotional and mental spectrum: gathering, preparing, hoping, observing, modifying, anticipating, mothering, fathering. I know it must seem like I never interact with other humans, my dear reader. It's not that I'm anti-people; it's just that I'm pro-spirit, pro-animal, pro-flower. In fact, I feel I meet about five new people a day here and enjoy them all but I'm terribly shy about interviewing people for my blog. Stick with me and discover other life forms.

Below are some up-and-comers:


                                                                            

Hybrid Rose

Butter Lettuce

Peppers

Hibiscus




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Magnolias

Controversy at the BL Symposium on Decorum and the Soul of the Humanities: DITA Assignment #3

Thomas's Pandemic Diaries: The Good Ole' Literature Review for the Dissertation