A place to call home in Mission Dolores

I have terrific news.

I found a sweet apartment in the neighborhood of Mission  Dolores for less than what I was paying in Somerville, Massachusetts! And there's a free washer and dryer thrown into the mix; quarters and loose change sashay away. The Goddesses of hearth and home once again looked kindly on yours truly. The only trouble now is saying good-bye to my hosts, Eric and Richard, their cat, Cali and the sauna and jacuzzi of Opera Plaza. Here are the deets on the new crib:



It's a second floor, rent-controlled apartment on 16th Street and Church. Mission Dolores is a mild-mannered, almost suburban hamlet sandwiched between the boisterous hipster/latin Mission District and the gay/fabulous Castro. Mission Dolores is actually where San Francisco was founded and *immediately* across the street from my new abode is the sideview of the 1918 Basilica, shown above. Next to that, just out of view from my front stoop if we had one, is the oldest standing structure in the city, the Old Mission or Tule Arbor, built in June of 1776 when SF was born. The Basilica alone screams history and pride. Walking by it reminds me that I'm now living in a neighborhood like the lovely Antigua, Guatemala or a colonial corner of Mexico. Dolores Street is my favorite main thoroughfare in the city, it's like a lush and hilly version of Blue Hill Parkway in my hometown. But instead of maples and birches lining the middle you'll find a corridor of guardian King Palms. Church Street has a nice used bookstore and a couple of eateries including Miyabi Sushi where I dined the first night with my friends. Safeway is in easy walking distance. Below is Tule Arbor, the oldest building in town and a survivor of both both the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes.



I'm shocked that I found such a sweet deal and I want to thank all of you who have prayed for me or sent me light. As almost any city-dweller can attest, finding a place to live is a harsh process. Unlike a string of job interviews where a company can disqualify you for your work ethic or bitter references, a household can disqualify you for your appearance or vibe. Maybe I should have the master tenant come into EyeCarumba to get his eyes checked. Hee-hee.

Speak of the devil, my one and only roommate, the master tenant, is a 72-year-old gay Mexican immigrant named Miguel Luna. A soft-spoken guy who grows pineapples in his bedroom, Luna has been living in this apartment for 20+ years and in the city since 1962. We hit it off personality wise. The room itself was clean, dry and floored with hard wood and illuminated with one north facing window. It's about 11" by 12" but lacks heat (nothing that can't be fixed with a fire-safe space heater). Miguel is even allowing me to bring in a cat! That way two creatures will have a new home.




Comments

  1. Tommy, I am delighted by your excellent news. If the power of prayer had anything to do with it, amen! It sounds terrific and I have a real feeling that you will be happy. I continue to enjoy your excellent posts here. Keep up the good work. All best wishes from a friend back East.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy, I can feel your prayers. You'll have a place to stay when you come visit!

    - tommy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Magnolias

Controversy at the BL Symposium on Decorum and the Soul of the Humanities: DITA Assignment #3

Thomas's Pandemic Diaries: The Good Ole' Literature Review for the Dissertation