162 years and counting

       March is a lovely month for the Irish. The world, in blustery, early spring is introduced to bits of green escaping the thawed soil. Then on the 17th we have the deluge of Kelly green and carry-around shamrocks. Many too are green with envy for not being Irish. Malarky, we say, for everyone can be Irish (all month if you'd like). All it takes is having fun and seeing the world through magical eyes.
       As a matter of principle, I haven't attended the South Boston Irish parade (for as long as I can remember) because of its homophobic past which you can reference here. The 162nd Saint Patrick's Day Parade in San Francisco, however, was a chance to experience the holiday anew. Much to my surprise, I found that Irish organizations like labor unions and Irish Step Dancing Schools are in full swing in Baghdad-by-the-Bay. Most of the Irish live "out on the avenues" in the Sunset and Richmond districts. People were friendly and nobody was hammered yet.

      Mauricio was charmed by my people he called "phantasmagoric," with our pale skin, red hair and blue eyes. Visions aside, we learned that Cork, Ireland is the sister city of San Francisco and SF Mayor, Ed Lee, led the parade there from 6,000 miles away as part of a combined business venture through internet provider, Cisco. The Rebel Cork Benevolent Association was one of dozens of parade participants, a social group that helps out members in hard times. My maternal great-grandmother, a woman who loved to dance and party, hailed from Cork so I felt a special kinship at the parade.       As I approach year two in San Francisco, one of my goals is to secure my Irish passport (I am a dual citizen) and take introductory Irish language courses on Saturday mornings.
      It was interesting to note and compare the spirits behind certain communities. What is it that makes certain groups tick? What battles are they waging or enemies are they fighting? The Boston-Irish had to contend with oppressive Puritan English who had laid cultural claim to the Shawmut peninsula before we arrived (perhaps adding to our unique defensive posture in Beantown). In San Francisco, the Irish battled the liberal, sometimes violent, mores that arrived with and after them, best described in David Talbot's gripping historical account, Season of the Witch. Taking this even further, however, you saw a lot of skin at the San Francisco Irish parade and it wasn't just because of the balmy weather but rather an infusion of the breezy sexuality on the Yurba Buena peninsula. It makes me think that no matter how stubborn the Irish come off there are large parts of us that are quite adaptable and accommodating. As long as we continue to see the world through magical eyes. This we'll never give up.

Comments

  1. Nice post, Tommy. I have mixed feelings about the holiday, the whole Irish thing, having grown up in a dysfunctional and turbulent Irish family. Hard as I work at letting go of "all that," I still carry some residue. Progress not perfection. And I avoid going into Boston on March 17. Or even getting into my car on that day. Amateurs, as we say. BUT, I like your shirt. And I, too, am a dual citizen and have an Irish passport as well as an American one. I actually used it the last time I visited the Old Country. I love reading your posts, your discoveries both internal and external. Onward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I feel we are kindred spirits. I picked up my foreign birth certificate shortly after 9/11 and am just now getting to acquiring the passport. And I've actually never stepped foot in the old country so I'm sure I'll use your recommendations when the time comes. Keep writing, my friend!

      Delete
  2. I had so much fun at Irish Day in Southie this year. I will never miss it again. The crowd was not at all homophobic or racist. Its hard to imagine that people are still not permitted to march. Everybody was loving and welcoming. The Peace Parade afterwards was especially thoughtful. The whole day was just really colorful(well maybe just every shade of green) and fun.Times are changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric, that's good to know. I'm glad you had fun. See you again around the holidays.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Magnolias

Controversy at the BL Symposium on Decorum and the Soul of the Humanities: DITA Assignment #3

Thomas's Pandemic Diaries: The Good Ole' Literature Review for the Dissertation